Our courses operate on different financial schemes and vary from course to course; therefore, please visit the relevant course web pages to see the course-specific Financial Information document.
For most of the courses, we will not be able to meet all deserving applicants’ funding needs (check details on the course websites). Therefore, we advise prospective applicants to look for alternative sources of support from their home institutions, employers, and relevant funding agencies in their fields, etc.
Tuition fees vary from course to course; therefore, please visit the relevant course web pages to see the course-specific information.
We expect fees to be paid online upon your confirmation of participation after April 15, via the Applicant Portal.
- April 30 (Early Bird fee)
- May 28 (Full tuition fee)
For our fee-refund policy see the Fee payment procedure below.
What is covered by the tuition fee?
Tuition covers the following:
- a minimum of 24 tuition hours per week
- ECTS credits
- a certificate of attendance
- access to course E-learning page (with readings, assignments, etc.)
- access to CEU facilities (Library, IT services, sports center including the use of the indoor swimming pool and tennis courts at the CEU Residence Center)
- some social and cultural events depending on the course schedules (e.g. welcome and farewell reception/outings/field trips/film screenings, etc.)
In addition to the tuition fee, feepaying participants need to cover their own travel, accommodation, health insurance costs, and living expenses.
When purchasing your airplane tickets, please make sure you also purchase flight insurance. In case participants have to decline their participation at the last minute due to health or other reasons, they are personally liable for the costs of canceling their ticket. We cannot reimburse anyone for cancellation fees. For more information about the ticket purchase please visit this page.
Accommodation in a single room at CEU Residence Center for our participants is at a preferential rate of 30 EUR/night while double occupancy (with another participant) is 19 EUR/night.
It is mandatory for all enrolled Summer University participants to have adequate health insurance for the duration of their stay in Hungary as a condition of their participation in the program. Participants are responsible for purchasing their own insurance and uploading it to the Applicant Portal.
In case it is difficult to find a reliable insurance company in your country, you can contact CEU's travel agency for health insurance (it is obligatory for your visa application). It will cost you around 2 EUR/day. More information is available on the Mandatory Insurance page.
Living costs vary with course length and individual needs from 240-300 EUR.
Courses are generously funded by the Open Society University Network. Only currently enrolled students, researchers, staff, and faculty from the institutions within this Network are eligible for a full or partial scholarship which could cover the following categories:
- a full fee waiver offered by CEU SUN
- accommodation in a single room at CEU Residence Center
- travel, including visa
Funds will be distributed based on academic merit, eligibility and demonstrated financial need.
A tuition waiver is available for currently enrolled students of CIVICA member universities.
Hungarian Colleges for Advanced Studies
Students of Hungarian Colleges for Advanced Studies ("Szakkollégium") are eligible for a tuition waiver.
In addition, the courses on Constitution-building in Africa, Dismantling Democracy from Within, and New Frontiers in Romani Studies: Insights from Critical Race Theory also offer scholarships provided by CEU and various other universities, NGOs, donor agencies, etc. For these, please visit the Financial Information document on the respective course web pages.
Packages with Financial Aid
- Financial aid: tuition fee waived
- Participant's contribution: health insurance, travel, accommodation, and living expenses
Partial SUN Scholarship
- Financial aid: tuition fee waived and free accommodation in a single or shared double room
- Participant's contribution: health insurance, travel, and living expenses
Full SUN Scholarship
- Financial aid: tuition fee waived; free accommodation in a single or shared double room, a full travel grant, and a stipend.
- Participant’s contribution: health insurance and living expenses
Fee payment by credit card
We expect fees to be paid online upon your confirmation of participation after April 15.
- April 30 (Early Bird fee)
- May 28 (Full tuition fee)
Payments for the summer courses are to be made via the Applicant Portal. Accepted participants need to log in to the portal and accept the Offer received from the SUN office. After this, the 'onboarding' section will be available, where you can click on the 'fee payment' button.
In exceptional cases, we accept payments outside the Applicant Portal. CLICK HERE to see when and how we can accept payments outside the portal.
In case you need an invoice to be issued for an institution (e.g. for your university, NGO, company, etc.), please fill out the invoice request form and provide the necessary information for the invoice. If you have any questions related to the invoice, please contact Ms. Timea Madarasz, CEU Budget & Finance Office.
Invoices for the tuition fee will be made out to the participant’s name unless their sponsor requests an invoice. If the invoice needs to be changed later, please contact the Summer University Office.
Cancellation by Participant
In the event of cancellation, our general refund policy is the following (for specific course-related refund policy please consult the Financial Information posted on the course websites):
- Before May 28 - CEU will refund 90% of the full tuition fee paid.
- Between May 29th and 14 days before the course starts - 50% of the tuition fee will be refunded.
- Within 14 days of the course starting - no refund for tuition fees will be given.
If Participant cancels their participation for health or other causes of a vis major, 50% of the fee paid could be reimbursed against an official certificate.
Cancellation by CEU Summer University (SUN)
CEU SUN reserves the right to cancel any of the courses. In such cases, CEU will refund the whole amount.